Sunday, October 20, 2013

Alphabet Wall Art for Nursery

As promised, I will update more often and keep track the best I can of all the little projects I'm working on for the nursery for Baby Boy Coghill!
The intended "theme" of the room is black-white-and-bright!!

First, I'll share this alphabet art I made over the weekend.  It was super easy to do and took pretty much 0 art skills, promise.
I've seen tons of versions of the alphabet on pinterest and knew I wanted to make my own, and when I found the absolute perfect vinyl letters on clearance at Target I knew it'd make the project so much simpler than painting them by hand.

I started with a large canvas that I literally found in the trash!
My sister was in town visiting and we walked over to a nearby park on a Sunday afternoon, and Monday is garbage day so there was tons of stuff out.  That day I found a suitcase, Christmas ornaments, a large decorative frame, and this barely used canvas!
I figured someday I'd paint over it or find some use for it - canvases this large are not cheap.

Supplies: Canvas, letters, and white paint. 

  I started out with a few coats of white paint over someone else's failed attempt at an art project 

 Cut out each of the letters and decided what type of configuration I wanted.  I ended up putting 6 letters on the second row since F and I are such small letters. 

 Stuck them to the canvas and put it up on the wall to study it.... but it seemed like something was missing.  I didn't originally intend to have it off center (haha. maybe I shouldn't admit to that!) but once I put up the first row it was a little heavy to the left, but whatever, I just went with it figuring I'd find something to fill the space later. 

 I decided it needed some color!  So I found some scraps of paper I had lying around and played off the tribal-ish look of the letters and cut out a bunch of little triangles to get an arrow look. 

Final product!
I'm so happy with how it turned out and since we live in a rental and can't paint the walls the bright white of the canvas really brightens the room up.

I can't wait to have a little one living in this room and to someday teach them their ABCs!!!

linking up with Savvy Southern Style!

4 comments:

Amber said...

Kelsey I love this!

Amanda said...

Too bad you got pregnant after I finished my baby's nursery. I look forward to seeing all your nursery ideas!

Sarah Dhillon said...

This looks fantastic, Kelsey! Love that you upcycled that canvas, too.

jelly andrews said...

It turns out really great. It is really cute. I will definitely going to give this a try too. This is an inexpensive way to transform a blank wall into something great.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...