Friday, September 16, 2011

almost copy-kat art

One of my character flaws is that I don't like to copy things (hence my love/hate relationship with pinterest) 
I want to be creative all on my own. be original.
But the truth is.... I'm not really all that one of a kind.
Many of the ideas I have seem original to me, but someone else has already thought of it.
To deal with this I'd like to call myself the "almost copy-kat"
I see something I like and then try to put my own spin on it.

I am a supporter of trying to re-create art for yourself.
Art is so expensive. eesh.
I'm that over-confident person who refuses to buy anything that I think I can make myself.
Sometimes it turns out good... and sometimes it is just an outlet for when I get that urge to paint or draw.

Last week I tried my hand at re-creating a favorite image of mine from pinterest.
that sea horse I used for inspiration for my sea glass sea horse.



I used some really thin sharpie markers that my friend from college Tiffany gave me when I was home.  She donate SO much awesome stuff to our after school program - the kids love the books she sent and I've been getting lots of use out of the sharpies! and not just for art purposes ;)
Tiffany has a super cute blog - Teach.Run.Love.
If you like running (she's about to do her 4th half marathon), teaching 1st graders, or cooking check her out!

ok end of commercial break.
back to sea horses.

IMG_0165
my version.  It is draw on 8x10 paper.

But I couldn't stop there.  I was loving this so I decided to draw a fish in a similar style.

IMG_0167

But you can't stop at 2.  You need at least 3 for a "collection"
So I drew a little jelly fish!

IMG_0168

IMG_0164


The similar style and colors makes them a beautiful grouping!  I cannot wait to frame and display them on a gallery wall when we get an apartment in America!






6 comments:

Skye McLain said...

Those are so awesome! What a great way to take something you loved and make it your own! Love it! :)

Amanda C. said...

Those are great. I couldn't draw my way out of a paper bag. I like how you started with the seahorse and ran with it.

TiffanyClark said...

You are so sweet, kels! Thanks for the little plug for my blog :) I'm so glad you were able to use all the things I sent back with you! I'm so glad the kids love the books! Loved seeing their pictures reading! Love your art and miss you lots!

Jamie said...

I think the jelly fish is my favorite.

A friend of mine who is an artist tells me that all art is really inspired by other art.

I like your drawings.

Dianna@KennedyAdventures said...

You did a great job! I love the pen and ink look!

Greta @gfunkified said...

Those are gorgeous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...